Jessica Gerhardt is a singer-songwriter and ukuleleist from Santa Monica, California. She started writing songs when she was 8 years old and became confident in performing and being on stage through her involvement with The Virginia Avenue Project, a program that brings kids together with professional artists to create theater, shepherded at the time by founder and Artistic Director, Leigh Curran. After receiving a ukulele as a birthday gift, she taught herself to play and it became her principle songwriting instrument. Jessica's debut performances of original songs were at an open mic night for high school students called Downbeat 720, organized by the talented Joe Hernandez-Kolski and Joshua Silverstein.
Jessica attended Reed College in Portland, Oregon where she played in a band called Just Orange and continued to write songs. While there, her Catholic Christian faith also began to grow and influence her identity and songwriting, and ultimately led her to feeling called to pursue music. As a graduating senior she was interviewed about her time at Reed and her music in Reed Magazine.
After completing her B.A. degree, Jessica came back home to LA to begin to record the songs she had written and build a music career. In August of 2014 she released her first EP of original music, an EP entitled "Words Like Rainfall" under the name, Feronia, a collaboration with producer Patrick Doyle. After completing the album she assembled a band and performed around Los Angeles. Under the same name, she released a cover of Emmylou Harris's "Little Bird" on a tribute record called "To Emmylou", featuring a number of fellow Los Angeles-based bands and artists, reviewed in Rolling Stone. For a few years Jessica took a step back from regularly playing out with her own music, and recorded and performed with LA electro-pop group, Hotel For Strangers. After her hiatus, Jessica decided to retire her former artist name, and to release music under her own name.
Her most recent releases have been:
- "Be My Hands" (EP) (June 2019)
- "Morning Moon" (single) (November 2019)
- "Keep It Simple" (single) (March 2020)
Additionally, Jessica has recorded on numerous other projects including:
- "Coventry Carol/Here We Come A-wassailing (feat. Jessica Gerhardt)" by St. Brigid's Fire
- co-writing and performing on Paradox's track "State of the Union" featuring Imperial and Alert312
- a cover of Wye Oak's "Glory" with producer Barstool Astronaut
- supporting vocals the self-titled debut album from LA indie band Hotel for Strangers
- an original arrangement of "O Holy Night" with producer/songwriter, Jimmy Paton, released through Hidden Leaven
- a cover of Gungor's "Beautiful Things" for an independent film entitled "The Extrovert"